Subsidiarity rules govern the relationship between the OSS and its member countries. The OSS acts as an initiator and facilitator of partnerships to address common environmental challenges. The management of transboundary water resources and the implementation of multilateral environmental agreements, especially those dealing with desertification, biodiversity and climate change, are key areas of the organization's work.
Our programs and projects are funded by voluntary contributions, grants and donations from member countries, organizations and partners.
A light and flexible structure, transparent financial management, effective governance and a skilful, multicultural and cross-disciplinary team are important assets that make it possible for the OSS to significantly respond to regional and international environmental challenges.
The OSS General Assembly is convened every four years to consider institutional, strategic and statutory issues and adopt the four-year program of activities. The General Assembly also elects the Executive Board members for four years.
Egypt is the present Chair of the Organization.
His Excellency, Mr. Al-Sayed El-Quseir, Minister of Agriculture and Land Reclamation is the OSS Chairman.
The Executive Board, which meets every year, implements the decisions and resolutions adopted by the General Assembly. The Executive Board examines the annual budget and the program of activities submitted for adoption by the Executive Secretariat and validates the accounts of the Organization after hearing the Auditor's report.
The OSS Executive Board
The OSS Executive Board is currently made up as follows:
- Chair: Egypt
- Cen-Sad area: Benin and Libya
- Arab Maghreb Union area : Morocco and Mauritania
- CILSS area: Senegal and Chad
- IGAD area: Uganda and Sudan
- Non-regional members: Belgium, Canada, France, Germany, Italy, Luxemburg and Switzerland
- Other members: Egypt
- Members representing sub-regional organizations: AMU General Secretariat and LCBC, PAAGGW, CILSS and IGAD Executive Secretariats
- Members representing international organizations: UNCCD
- Members representing Civil Society Organizations: CARI
- A permanent seat for the host country: Tunisia
The Executive Board's Bureau is made-up as follows:
- Egypt: Chair
- France: 1st Vice-President
- Libya: 2nd Vice-President
- Benin: 3rd Vice-President
- Mauritania: 4th Vice-President
- Tunisia: Permanent seat (host country)
- OSS Executive Secretary: Member
- OSS Executive Secretariat: Rapporteur
The Strategic Orientation Committee (SOC)
The Strategic Orientation Committee (SOC) is a consultative body whose mission is to provide strategic view to underpin the organization’s programs.
The Executive Secretariat
The Executive Secretariat implements the Executive Board's decisions and takes all necessary measures for the efficient day-to-day management of the organization and the execution of its scientific and technical programs.